Despite the new distractions of a two-week free trial, I managed to pull off the citrus skirt in record time and finished the floral dress to boot, photos of course promised in the near future. There's an odd dissonance between the two pieces - they have a nearly identical square-hipped tulip shape, which I absolutely love in the dress but am decidedly less enthusiastic about in the skirt. It may be that the fabric hangs a bit differently, but overall I think it's mostly a matter of proportion - the width of the hips is offset in the dress by the overall length of the garment, so the wide bottom/tiny waist thing works well, but in the skirt all that volume combined with the bright print just ends up looking... wide. And bottom-heavy. I do like the overall idea of the skirt still, so I think I'll try to just take out the pockets and tone down the hips a bit and see how that works out.
The dress is probably the best work I've done to date - the fit is 95% perfect. The only weirdness stems from some of the topstitching I did at the top of the bodice, it seems like everything got just a little stretched out where the top edge hits the zipper, which results in a little bit of gapping. It's not too noticeable overall, but it's enough to give me some pause. I'm still debating when to debut it - I'm not sure if tonight's excursion to the only dive bar in town is the most opportune time for a zip-front strapless dress with boob-flashing potential.... or maybe it's just the fast track to free pitchers.