May 3, 2011

pre-mixed

Rue de la Villette, Paris: 29 avril
Rue de la Villette, Paris: 29 avril
Rue de la Villette, Paris: 29 avril
twisted & striped
Rue de la Villette, Paris: 29 avril
earrings - Topshop / striped shirt - H&M / overdyed skinnies - Zara / brogues - Primark

I distinctly recall declaring (to Chris, ever my captive audience) about a month ago that I did not like garments sporting mixed-size stripes. Clearly I spend a lot of my time pondering deep issues. While I like mixed stripes in an outfit composed of separates, and I like stripes of mixed orientation in single garment (see, the greatest skirt ever), I have long disliked garments in which the stripes dramatically change size and spacing. I like to tell myself that it's because they're the boxed cake mix of print-mixing (I'm a firmly from-scratch girl), but in truth, they just remind me far too much of a short-sleeved (ugh), mock-turtleneck (double-ugh) sweater from Express that I wore to death in middle school. So I said it - I hate pre-mixed stripes.

But then, mere seconds after this momentous declaration, I saw a girl wearing this shirt in Florence, and I had to completely reverse my position. It turns out I love pre-mixed stripes when they change both size and color. Within a few days, I had seen "the shirt" (and started referring to it as "the shirt") twice more and was sold. I pinned it (and its Zara cousin), I pined for it, and last week I finally paid for it. I've worn it three times already, and we are in love.

pink vs. pink
And of course, I couldn't resist showing off (once again) how well our apartment matches my outfits. Everyone's balcony should have at least one bubblegum pink wall.
//

14 comments:

Liz (26 and Counting) said...

Isn't that shirt just the greatest? I have to remind myself that it isn't fashionable to wear the same shirt 3 times in 1 week.

Emily_RubySlippers said...

Haha... I hear where you're coming from... and I also really love this top. It looks really fresh (probably you'll hate the memory of it in ten years or so though) ; D

BetweenLaundryDays said...

Yeah, it's pretty rad. I like this color palette a bit better than its twinsie, but just because I'm not usually a rainbow sherbet kind of gal. This one has a distinct Parisian vibe. Quite apropos, eh? :)

Rebecca said...

I really like that shirt, and I just pinned it too in case I am at H&M anytime soon.

Looks & Books said...

Those earrings are completely wonderful! And that shirt, of course, is pretty rad as well. I'm glad you were able to think outside the (cake mix) box.

L. of hey nancy said...

Ahhh I may have to purchase this shirt too. My roommate has one and I lust after it, and now seeing it on you...! I think it's going to be one of those cult blogger items, and I can see why. Off to H&M I trot...

Monica said...

This shirt is so fabulous. Also, I want your bangs.

Ask the Duplex

emily said...

I have to admit, I actually wound up wearing this whole outfit two days in a row! I guess that's the beauty of traveling where no one knows you - only my boyfriend knows my dirty laundry secrets. :)

emily said...

Too true - and by then I'll have a day-by-day record of all the embarrassing things I've worn over the years! I'm not sure if that is an awful by-product of blogging, or an awesome one...

emily said...

Thanks! If you do go looking for it, don't be put off by the sizing as I think these run a little large. I usually wear a M/L at H&M, but wound up trying on a small because it was all they had, and it fit just right.

emily said...

Oh, I am always a rainbow sherbet kind of gal, so you can give me yours. :) And I completely agree - where do stripes, a boatneck, and three-quarter sleeves belong if not in Paris?

emily said...

Thank you! I probably don't wear these earrings nearly as often as I should - they're surprisingly heavy, and I'm so scared to stretch out my earlobes! Still, they always seem to glam up an otherwise casual outfit perfectly. :)

emily said...

Ooh, yeah, I can definitely see this top taking on that cult status amongst bloggers! There's already a somewhat similar dress floating around that I think I've at least seen on B Jones Style and This Time Tommorow...

If you do decide to go for it, check out my reply to Rebecca's comment above - I think the sizing is a little unsual (for H&M at least).

emily said...

Thank you Monica! I have definitely been loving my asymmetrical bangs these last few months too, although I still get super duper nervous every time I have to trim them!

Post a Comment