January 18, 2011

blackout

Carrer de Ferran, 18 Enero
Carrer de Ferran, 18 Enero
earrings - random accessories store in Copenhagen / black blazer-ish cardigan - Anthropologie / black henley tank - Old Navy / belt - vintage, thrifted / blue tulip skirt - UO / black tights - Target / black studded flats - Zara

Tomorrow is moving day! The last four weeks in Barcelona have been incredible, but I am definitely excited to move on to a new locale. It feels a bit like we've been here so long, we've gotten a little lazy about getting out and doing things - it's been too easy to put things off for better weather, sometime when my feet don't hurt, a less touristy time. On the other hand, it's been nice to be able to have a little bit more of a routine, and slightly more of a home-base. I think I'm ready for the shake-up though, and I've already picked out a traveling outfit that I'm pretty psyched about.

The approach of moving day also means the approach of Laundry Day, thank goodness. As my supply of clean clothes have dwindled, it's become painfully obvious that there's a certain monochromaticity to my wardrobe. Looking at what's in my suitcase, of the roughly 29 garments I brought (not counting shoes or outerwear), 22 are black, blue, or gray, and a whopping 12 of those are black. I think it's pretty safe to say that these kinds of dark neutrals are definitely my comfort zone, and I would even go so far as to say that black is a bit of a sartorial crutch for me. The first thing I notice and often comment on about those whose style I love is their inventive use of color, so it was a little shocking to realize how much I've come to rely on its absence.

Black is of course famously slimming and always in style, but it really isn't a lot of fun to remix. Picking out my outfit today was like making a bread sandwich, with bread in the middle, served with a side of bread. Life-giving staple for centuries? Yes. Also, boring.

So I'm going to try and impose something of a 'blackout' on any new purchases, eschewing the 'easy' choice of black in favor of the greater sartorial rewards and challenges of colors. I got a nice little start today (more on that tomorrow!), and I have been flipping through my "color inspiration" folder to start pinpointing some new favorite hues. These little studded flats from Zara will be the last of the black for a while - so long, crutch!

(Despite my somber attire, I did have some fun taking these photos. I thought I'd share my final 'outtake' from this afternoon - taken immediately after my pathetic attempt at the iconic blogger jumping shot. Suffice to say, I am not very coordinated.)

outtaked 
P.S. Tania of What Would a Nerd Wear said some very nice things about my style today! I love her blog, so naturally I am uber-flattered - thanks Tania!

4 comments:

Tela said...

i found your blog from Tania! you have supercute style and i'm looking forward to following you. i adore those earrings!

origami said...

I, in turn, found your blog via Blue Collar Catwalk and have enjoyed going back through previous entries. I'm looking forward to seeing you inject some more color as some of my favorite looks are those where you inject some interesting pop of color (the striped number you submitted to BCC and your fab vintage dresses). Also, your accessories (earrings, necklaces, etc) are great fun!

sartoriography said...

I can totally empathize with the problem of smart but sometimes drab packing choices. I've lived out of a suitcase more times than I can count, and after a while I got so sick of seeing the same colors and styles come around again and again. I have to say, though, you do such a great job with your mixing that it doesn't seem so bready bread bread to me.

I'm excited to see what you add to your collection. That cat top from Zara made my little sartorial soul sing a bit, so I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Great post. I was checking constantly this blog and I'm impressed! Very useful information specially the last part :) I care for such information much. I was seeking this certain info for a long time. Thank you and good luck.

My web page; free cfnm movies

Post a Comment