January 22, 2011

totally incepted

La Alhambra, Granada
La Alhambra, Granada
gold link necklace - vintage, great-grandmother's / buffalo Larch bag - custom, valhallabrooklyn via etsy / cat print blouse - Zara / leather belt - vintage, thrifted / skirt - H&M / tights - Target / boots - Steve Madden

Lately I've been feeling like I have some sort of strange psychic connection with the universe. Both Christine and Kendi wore outfits very similar to this one at almost exactly the same time (except, since I'm in a European timezone, I live in the future.... so technically I wore it first).

This sartorial synchronicity was preceded by another eerie coincidence a few days before. After thoroughly evaluating my wardrobe (both in the suitcase and the States), I made a short little shopping list to keep in my purse of the few garments I really felt I was missing as 'keystone' pieces. I then went to H&M and Zara and promptly found almost every single one - and I don't just mean I found "new skirt," I found "new tulip skirt with pockets in bright color, pref. blush pink." My list-making was incredibly specific (it even involved making a polyvore set!), and yet it was as if every store I walked into had some kind of secret access to the (significant) part of my brain devoted to thinking about clothes. The colors were perfect, the shapes were just right, and everything was magically on sale. I think maybe I've been incepted by some major international retailers.

Of the things I brought home with me, I think I'm most excited about the possibilities for this skirt. I absolutely love this shape, and I've already got a whole notebook page full of ideas for other colors to remix it with. Since we all know cats love pink, I decided to start with a simple color palette and let the skirt (and cats) do the talking. Topped with my trench, this outfit was perfect for a cool but sunny day at the Alhambra.

These shots are taken from the alcazaba - in the distance behind me is the Albayzin, the old Arab quarter of Granada. Immediately over my shoulder is the Mirador de San Nicolas, a public square and lookout point that has a spectacular view of the Alhambra - and was about two blocks from our lovely house. I'm already making plans to go back...

La Alhambra, Granada
La Alhambra, Granada 
P.S. Lately I've been having all sorts of problems with the Disqus commenting platform - for some reason my Disqus comments aren't syncing with blogger, which is why the comment counts are all wrong on the main page. I'm also having some problems leaving comments via Disqus - many comments I've tried to leave on other blogs just don't post! This latter problem seems to happen most often when I write longer comments. Anyone else having problems with Disqus?

0 comments:

Post a Comment