February 25, 2011

encore

22 of 30
Panmure Place, Edinburgh: 25th February
Panmure Place, Edinburgh: 25th February
 necklace - vintage, great-grandmother's / wood & brass bangle - vintage, thrifted / breton striped cardigan - H&M / striped tee - UO / tights - Calzedonia / brogues - Primark

...otherwise known as Day Two of my couch vigil, brought to you by Earl Gray, Kleenex, and copious quantities of expired Sudafed.

I am nothing if not dedicated to optimism while sick, so despite my body's misgivings, I made an effort to actually get up and get dressed today in hopes of making at least some small excursion. We even ventured out to get some lunch and for me to scope the nearest Salvation Army, but by the time we got there I was too exhausted for serious thrifting, and was further demoralized by the price tag on the first awesome dress I found.* So, once again, we turned 'round and headed home, and I swapped my tights for leggings and have been in a sniffly heap on the couch ever since. The highlight of my day was probably getting the boyfriend to watch a Justin Bieber number on a recent episode of Glee, as the Biebs has fairly recently entered our collective cultural awareness (yeah, we're old), but we weren't sure we had actually heard any of his music as of yet.

Much as I love this corner of our kitchen (it makes me feel like I'm in an Anthropologie catalog!), I have majorly high hopes of feeling better tomorrow, and making it out to some more interesting photo locations. Being sick is so totally boring, y'all.

*As an aside, it makes me so nuts when thrift shops mark-up 'vintage' pieces. To me it is totally different from the premium I expect to pay at a store devoted to vintage, where buyers are using their expertise to hunt down great pieces and curate their offerings for discerning customers. Thrifts that rely on donations don't bring any of that added value, so why should I pay £18 for one dress versus £2 for another, just because you've successfully identified it as 'old'? Obviously this burns me more in for-profit shops rather than charities, but still. (And I did not buy the £18 dress.)
//

18 comments:

dotty said...

i hope you feel better soon!
and i share in your distaste for vintage markups. it's such a disappointment when you discover that some pricetag-attacher also recognized how awesome a piece is!

tastymoog said...

bieber fairly recently entered my cultural awareness (the tom brady thing, i guess?), and i wish he never did. it was hilarious seeing him lose big at the grammys, at least. bwaha. when i was an adolescent, i was listening to stereolab, and miles davis (umm, and nwa, public enemy, etc., thanks to my much older brother, haha).

get well!

Patricia said...

Feel better soon!

Oddly (since your ill and I find that personally that makes for worse outfits), this is maybe my favorite of your 30 for 30. I just really like the color combination and that your daring enough to wear a long cardi as a dress. Terrific!

Jessica Scheuer said...

yes to stripes!

Rebecca said...

I also get a little annoyed when thrift stores mark up vintage pieces. I understand it at vintage shops, but that is because the owner has spent time finding stylish, quality pieces.

Kara @ Unusual Form said...

I'm sorry to hear that you're sick. I hope you get better quickly. It must be frustrating to get sick in a cool city versus somewhere boring (though it doesn't look like you've been anywhere "boring" for months).

Anja said...

you look lovely, despite being sick. Great with the tights!

jentine said...

I echo the sentiment of frustrating of mark-ups on vintage... sometimes it works the other way though when vinatge is considered too crazy and sold super cheap.
get better soon!

jill said...

yuck! being sick while traveling is the worst! hope you're feeling better!

emily said...

Seriously! Who told them about the secret awesomeness of vintage?? I also have a slightly similar reaction when I see other youngish people at my favorite thrifts, like, who told you about this place? This is just supposed to be for me and the really old ladies, so I get all the great stuff to myself!

(Obviously, I am just so selfless and giving.)

emily said...

Dude! I was pretty heavy into Stereolab too, and I thought I was the only one! Between them, Air, and Sebastian Tellier, I had a pretty serious French dream-pop thing going on. (Yeah... I was definitely not 'cool.')

emily said...

Thanks Patricia! I try to make an effort to wear something I like when I'm really tired or not feeling well, it always ends up making me feel at least a little better.

emily said...

Yeah, it just feels the teensiest bit unfair when you know those pieces just got dropped in a donation bin and basically fell into their laps. I can't complain about it too much at charity-run shops, but it really irks me at for-profit thrift stores.

emily said...

Thanks Kara - it has definitely been a drag to feel like I've been missing out on some things we'd hoped to do here in Edinburgh, especially as we don't have a whole lot of time here. Still, it's true that I can't exactly pick anywhere else on our trip where I'd rather have had a few sick days!

emily said...

Thanks Anja!

emily said...

That's true, I hadn't really thought about how many times I've totally benefited from the other side of the same coin - I've certainly found my fair share of insane printed dresses for a dollar or less, so I guess I shouldn't really gripe. Darn your even-handed logic!

emily said...

Thanks Jill - if only I could get my hands on some good old American Dayquil - Paracetamol really does not cut the mustard!

Christie Wimberly said...

Hi, how long ago did you get the breton striped cardigan from H&M. I cannot find it at H&M or used on ebay. Would you be willing to sell yours?

Post a Comment