February 8, 2011

creature comforts

6 of 30

marrakech, morocco: 7eme fevrier
marrakech, morocco: 7eme fevrier 
earrings - Berber handcraft, gift from Tunisia / goldfish pin - gift / wood & brass bangle - vintage, thrifted / perfect army jacket (below) - Zara / fox print tee - Zara / overdyed skinnies - Zara / flats - Zara 
(I didn't think I could come up with a more Zara-heavy outfit than yesterday's, but here you have it! Z, call me about sponsorship anytime.)

Only 1/5 of the way through my 30x30, and I'm already experiencing a little bit of an outfit funk. Between my desire to dress modestly as a visitor (no matter how many tourists I see on the street in tube tops), and the fact that I currently don't even have nine of my 30 items, I was feeling pretty uninspired about getting dressed yesterday. Enter a few of my favorite creatures to cheer me up.

I certainly seem to be amassing a nice little collection of animal-themed clothes, from my fish pin (a gift from my high school boyfriend - as in my boyfriend during high school, not my boyfriend who is in high school (he doesn't have such great taste)), to my fox shirt, my cat shirt, and my poodle brooch. I have never been a big wearer of animal print, but I do seem to wear a lot of prints of animals.

 fishpin
Still, I couldn't help feeling like this outfit was missing something, and I (tragically!) don't have a blazer in my 30x30 so I once again missed out on Everybody Everywear.... so of course I ended up throwing my perfect army jacket over it and calling it a day. Are you guys getting tired of seeing this jacket yet? No? Oh good, I knew that wasn't possible.

marrakech, morocco: 7eme fevrier
I did discover the downside of this jacket's magical butt-giving properties though - while we were out walking yesterday, this maybe 12-year-old boy came up and started offering to take us to the big square, Place Djemaa el Fna. This is pretty common, as it's the biggest tourist attraction in Marrakech and lots of kids (and adults) hope you will pay them something to show you the way there (since all Westerners are clearly lost/stupid). Generally when you decline, they'll try offering you six or seven other things, then give up, but this kid went a different route - instead, he began pointing at me and asking Chris, "How much? How much? 100? 120? Nice ass, nice. How much?" (Amazingly, Chris TOTALLY MISSED this entire interaction, as he was studiously ignoring the kid and is generally oblivious to rude comments made in my direction.)

Moral of the story? Beware of jackets with magical powers, as they may lead pre-teens to offer upwards of 100 dh (~$12) for your imaginary ass.

Oh, and we do occasionally venture farther than our lovely balconies. Here are a few photos from our post-tween-solicitation visit to the Palais el Badiî - population, a gazillion storks. You can see one of their nests on the roof in the first picture.

palais el badiî, marrakech, morocco
palais el badiî, marrakech, morocco

13 comments:

dotty said...

you have totally convinced me that i need an army jacket (once i'm no longer part of a continuous blizzard).

BetweenLaundryDays said...

Your ass is ABSOLUTELY worth more than $12! I'm outraged.

Tinfoilstiaras said...

I love the layout of your blog and the title (I'm another Emily and fellow remixer!) This is such a great outfit- I am feeling inspired by the animals and army jacket! You look great!

Felicity said...

$12? I'm pretty sure I would have had an inappropriate response involving a few four and five letter words so good for you for keeping your mouth shut!

Archives said...

ah! no, i LOVE the jacket! dude, that story about that kid is hilarious!!!! $12! hahahaha!

emily said...

Seriously, they are made of magical olive drab rainbows. Do it.

emily said...

Ha! Well, to be fair, $12 is a lot of money to a Moroccan twelve-year-old.... he probably didn't realize it was such a low-ball offer. :)

emily said...

Thanks Emily! I definitely think I should expand my sartorial menagerie once the 30x30 is over... I'm thinking giraffes are next.

emily said...

Well, to be fair, I did give him a pretty loud "SHOUMA!" which means "shame!" After that he headed off to bug some other tourists pretty quickly.

emily said...

Too bad he made the offer to the World's Worst Pimp, since Chris managed to remain completely oblivious to the whole thing!

patty said...

girl you are rocking that jacket, keep wearing it :)
and that's a really pretty top!

macydawn said...

That shirt is adorable, but the fish pin makes me swoon! I wish your h.s. boyfriend had dated me in high school....

Lila said...

Incredible locations and I LOVE how you put the equation of your outfit at the top of your posts.

Post a Comment