February 23, 2011

highlander


20 of 30
Greyfriars Kirkyard, Edinburgh
Greyfriars Kirkyard, Edinburgh
Greyfriars Kirkyard, Edinburgh
earrings - Anthropologie / scarf - gift / watch - La Mer / ring - Primark / cardigan - Primark / tank - Anthropologie / belt - vintage, thrifted / skirt - Zara / tights - Target / brogues - Primark

Ok, so I'm not actually in the Highlands (and I'm not the Highlander), but I am in Scotland! After a fairly smelly nine and a half hour bus ride yesterday, we arrived last night in Edinburgh, and took advantage of the surprisingly great weather today to go out exploring. The old town is exceedingly cute, and everything is compact enough that we can walk pretty much everywhere. We snapped these pictures in Greyfriars Kirkyard, after paying our respects to Greyfriars Bobby. As far as I can tell, Scotland's two biggest tourist industries are tartan and ghost stories - so far we haven't really indulged in either, although the pub where we had dinner last night does claim to have their own house ghost. I've also noticed a serious abundance of charity shops within walking distance of our apartment....

After seeing (and freaking loving) this kind of pink, pumpkin, and cognac color combination on both sartoriography and fancy treehouse this past week, I decided to try and style up a similar color story with my new favorite skirt and a pink tank. I really loved the core combination, but I think it got a little lost after adding the navy cardigan and (especially) the yellow scarf, so I'll definitely be trying it again sometime with more neutral outerwear. I'm also going to be on the lookout for some rusty orange tights, so I can wear them with my pink skirt for even more pink-pumpkin love.

the brogues 
The new stars of my traveling wardrobe - the brogues. Comfortable enough to walk in all day and they go with everything. Best £8 I ever spent.
//

17 comments:

sartoriography said...

Oh, I love this color combo on you! Isn't it funny how so many of us are drawn to it? It's just sublime. And the highlands...even if neither of us are there, I sure wish we were!! I'd be happy to be in Edinburgh, too, which is one of my favorite cities in the world. Very appropriate that you'd wear brogues, too, no? :)

Thanks for the link love, woman!!

Archives said...

gah! i feel like im so behind on your posts (because i am - busy week!), but i am SO happy to see this amazing color combo on you. AND your super fantastic green location. UGH what i wouldnt do to visit scotland!

BetweenLaundryDays said...

This IS a fabulous color combination. I love how you've worn it.

And I can't wait to hear about your adventures in Edinburgh! :)

Kara @ Unusual Form said...

Oh, I love Scotland! Edinburgh is probably my second favorite city (after Paris). Have fun.

alogsdon said...

Very cool colors together. Stealing this idea. I hope you get a chance to go to Glasgow as well. Definitely the friendliest and coolest city I have been to. Edinburgh's great, too, though!

Rebecca said...

Those brogues are really cute, and I like the choice of the pink tank top with the neutrals.

emily said...

There is just something so downright confectionary about the pink + pumpkin combo, it manages to feel sweet without being saccarine. Basically, you're pretty much a genius.

emily said...

Dude, I know, what is up with this week? My bloglovin' is dauntingly overflowing right now, I think the internet is getting away from me somehow.

This is my first visit to Scotland (ancestral homeland alert!) and so far, awesome (aside from being super-sick right now). Edinburgh is adorable, great beer abounds, and you can get freaking haggis tacos around the corner from our flat. I am ready to move here permanently.

emily said...

All credit due to your lovely roomie, who pretty much exploded my brain with the awesomeness of pink+pumpkin.

emily said...

I am super psyched to be here. I wish we were going to have a little more time, as I'd love to make a trip up to the Highlands, but for now I'll settle for exploring Edinburgh. :)

emily said...

We're definitely planning to make a trip to Glasgow while we're here, at least for a day. Any particular recommendations for our visit would be super welcome!

emily said...

Thanks! I have a real problem with always being drawn to impractical footwear, but these have actually proven shockingly sensible for traveling without feeling frumpy.

alogsdon said...

It's been a few years since I was there, but if you like music in the vague category of "indie rock" check out King Tut's Wah Wah Hut and Nice n' Sleazy. The latter has pretty good bar food. If you just want to go to a nice neighborhood pub, I have very fond memories of the Snaffle Bit, near Kelvingrove Park (which would be a great picture taking spot!) and Glasgow Uni. I met a couple there that bought me drinks all night and invited me to join them and their piping band on the Isle of Skye! That neighborhood has lots of restaurants and such. Byres Rd is a nice walk in the West End, and the East End is where there's a more Irish feel and some good (if gritty) pubs. If you are into architecture or art nouveau, there a bunch of Charles Rennie Mackntosh-designed buildings, and the Willow Tea Room was designed by Mackintosh and is fun for afternoon tea. I could probably go on and on, but if you're only going for a day, I better stop. :)

Jessica Bruner said...

I really like the colors in this outfit! The background is beautiful!

emily said...

Thanks Jessica! I loved visiting the cemetery, the contrast between the bright green grass and moss and the dark stones was just gorgeous.

emily said...

Wow, thank you so much for the recommendations! We are planning to make our trip to Glasgow tomorrow, and will definitely be making stops at a bunch of these places. :)

keepcalmandstyleon said...

That is an awesome color combination! I would've never thought of it, haha. Also, I am incredibly in love with your shoes. :)

- Caroline (http://keepcalmandstyleon.blogspot.com)

Post a Comment